Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Its not easy being green, but it sure is trendy.

Green is all the rage. I consider myself a pretty cutting-edge kinda gal. Malcolm Gladwell of Tipping Point Fame would describe me as an "early adopter," a "trend-setter" and a "connector" (I know people). I can smell a trend a mile away. I got a trendy degree (MPH), live a trendy life (yoga practicing vegetarian) and I even "no-poo" (ten points for anyone who doesn't smirk), but in all of my trendy years, not once did I think going green would become the cool thing to do.

Walking around in the birthplace of trendy, SoHo, last Sunday, I felt surrounded by the words "recycled," "reused," "renewed," "organic" and "green." My favorite boutique on Mott Street, Find Outlet will soon be Green Finds offering up tunics made from organic cotton and eco-friendly yoga mats. The good people at Whole Foods recently opened an outpost on Bowery Street. Storefronts on both sides of Broadway are turning green into gold. And while it is a big business, this may be the only way we're gonna make this green thing stick. (See the aforementioned Malcolm Gladwell on the importance of "stickiness.") We're trending something good here, folks. We're fixing ourselves and the planet (Apology: the tree-hugger in me gets out sometimes). Does it really matter how we get there? We'll make it--even if it takes impossibly long lines at Whole Foods to get there.

And so as I power down my computer tonight, I'm feeling a little trendier.

Not that I wasn't trendy already.
;

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.